How To Find A Reliable Family Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right family lawyer for your case in The Bronx, the process can be stressful and challenging when you aren’t exactly sure what you should be looking for. The right lawyer can make a huge difference in the outcome of your divorce, as well as how you make it through the process emotionally. You want to find a lawyer that you can build a trusting relationship with, and who is serious about your case while listening to you and your needs.
In today’s post, we will be offering some tips to help you find the right family lawyer for your case so that you can feel confident moving forward with your case and know that you are in the best of hands. As always, give us a call at the Law Offices of Diron Rutty, LLC today if you have any further questions or would like to discuss your case further with one of our experienced family lawyers in The Bronx today.
DO YOUR RESEARCH
Before meeting with a family lawyer, it is important to do your research online, check out websites, and read reviews so that you can get a feel for if they are a reputable and reliable lawyer or not. It is also smart to talk with your family, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances to see if they know of any family lawyers that they could recommend to you, as they will be able to tell you about their own personal experiences and are some of the most reliable references that you will find.
SET UP A MEETING/INTERVIEW
Once you have narrowed down your list of prospective family lawyers, it is important to make some phone calls and schedule interviews with them in order to determine whether or not they will be a good fit for your specific case.
You will want to prepare a well thought out list of questions for this interview, such as:
- How long have you been in practice?
- What are your fees?
- What services are includes?
- What is your caseload currently like?
- Who all will be working with you to support my case?
Once you have a solid list of questions ready to go, you will feel much more confident in your decision upon the conclusion of the interview.
KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR ANY RED FLAGS
When meeting with your prospective family lawyer, you will want to be sure to keep an eye out for and recognize any red flags so that you are able to move along and find new representation before your case gets damaged.
Some common red flags to keep an eye out for are:
- Poor communication, including unreturned phone calls and not being responsive in a timely manner. This could mean that this family lawyer has too many clients for them to handle and may not be able to provide you with the attention and care that you and your case deserve.
- Missed deadlines, as this has a lot to do with the overall success of your case. If your lawyer is continuously missing deadlines, this can be detrimental to your case. If you notice this happens once, it is likely time to find a new family lawyer to take on your case.
- A poor attitude. It is your family lawyer’s job to listen to your questions and concerns and provide you with the best advice possible, so if they are being rude, dismissive, impatient, or condescending, it is time to look for a new family lawyer who will make it possible to have a great client-attorney relationship.
- Lack of staff around the office. If there are no support staff around the office, this could be a sign of financial trouble. This can leave you unsure that your lawyer will be able to handle the legwork that is needed to win your case. Ask your prospective family lawyer about this and learn who will all be working to help you receive a positive outcome with your case.
ASK THEM ABOUT THEIR PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE
Previous experience with a case similar to yours is an absolute must with a family lawyer. You will also want to ask them about the outcomes of their previous cases in order to ensure that they have confidence in your case as well. For example, if you are going to a family lawyer to defend you in a criminal case, you will want to search for a trial lawyer instead. If you end up working with a lawyer who doesn’t have much experience in the specific area of law you are needing representation in, their lack of detailed knowledge can hurt your case.
GO WITH YOUR GUT INSTINCT
While you are meeting with a family lawyer, you should also keep an eye out for a gut instinct you feel while you are talking. Do they seem like they would be a good fit for you? Do they have a lot of experience working in similar cases? Are they kind, attentive, and knowledgable? If you get the feeling that you would be a good fit for each other, go with your gut and move forward. Our gut has a lot to say about a situation, so if all of the other boxes are checked and all signs point to “yes,” you are likely in great hands for your case.
We hope these tips help you on your quest of finding the perfect family lawyer for your case. If you have any further questions regarding family law and would like to set up a consultation, give us a call at the Law Offices of Diron Rutty, LLC today. We look forward to meeting you and seeing if we could be a good fit for you and your case.