Visa requirements

Common Banner


The process for immigrating or visiting the United States can be complicated. In turn, the consequences of taking the incorrect route are dire. This is why many people choose to – or even need to – work with an immigration and visa lawyer to ensure they are taking the correct route for legal immigration or legally visiting the United States. Working with an experienced attorney can improve your chances for a positive outcome for your application.

How to Apply for an
Immigration Visa

When it comes to gaining admission to the U.S. as an immigrant, there are two paths that you can take. Before starting down either path, you need to consider your personal circumstances. This includes taking into account where you are residing when you complete your application.

If You Are Living Abroad

If you are living abroad at the time you submit your application, you’ll need to apply for an immigrant visa at a consular office of the Department of State. The consular office will consider your application, and if they approve it, they will issue your visa so you may enter the U.S. and become a legal immigrant when you pass through the port of entry.

If You Already Live in the United States

If you already live in the United States as an undocumented immigrant, temporary worker, foreign student, or refugee, you will need to apply for an adjustment of your status. You need to change it to legal permanent resident with the Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Some visas require you to leave the country and apply from your country of origin, though there are programs and waivers available that you may be applicable for. We can help you determine if you can remain in the country while you proceed with your application.


Which Visas Is Right For Your Visit to the U.S.A?

Whether you want to come to the U.S. for pleasure, business, as a student, or to settle here permanently, there are many kinds of visas available. The most important thing you can do is choose the visa that’s right for your circumstances based on the reason for your visit and how long you intend to stay. Not doing so could cause you problems after you enter the United States, including being denied entry on your next visit or being deported for overstaying your current visa.

The problems you encounter when you don’t go through the proper procedure for a visa can impact you and your family for years to come. You must go through the process correctly and legally.

Do You Know About the Visa Waiver Program?

Citizens from certain countries do not need an immigration visa to enter the U.S.. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables foreign nationals – mostly from developed countries – to visit the United States for up to 90 days visa-free under certain certain conditions. This makes it much easier for citizens of these countries to visit the U.S. without a visa.

For example, if an individual is staying in the U.S. for 90 days or less, traveling for business, pleasure, or transit only, holding a return or onward ticket, and/or has a compliant passport that is admissible to the United States, they may participate in the Visa Waiver Program and will not have to apply for a visa before they enter the United States.

VWP travelers may complete their Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before traveling. For more information on ESTA and to request this waiver, you can visit the United States government page here.

Visa Waiver Applicable Countries

There are 35 countries whose citizens are now eligible for Visa Waiver travel. These include:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • The Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Republic of Korea
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • The United Kingdom

Why You Should Contact Our NYC
Visa Attorneys to Apply For a Work Visa

If your country of origin isn’t eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, you’ll need to apply for a visa before coming to the United States. An experienced immigration attorney can help you determine which visa is right for you and take you through the application process step-by-step. This can help you avoid potential pitfalls that could result in your application being denied and help you get a positive outcome for your case sooner.

The Law Offices of Diron Rutty, LLC believe that our clients deserve our commitment, and we strive to provide each with high-quality, ethical immigration advice at a reasonable price. You can reach our experienced immigration lawyers in New York City at (718) 324-0404 and in White Plains at (845) 849-9201 for assistance in resolving your immigration problem. Speak to one of our immigration lawyers under strict confidentiality and learn more about your options when it comes to visas and immigration to the United States. Get in touch with us by filling out the contact form on this page and a member of our team will contact you right away to arrange for your free consultation.

Us Today!