U.S. Visa Types

Common Banner
types of visas

Do You Know Which Visa You Need?

When it comes to visas, there are a number of different options for people wishing to come to the United States depending on why they want to visit and how long they want to stay. There are two types of visas that the United States government issues:

  • Non-immigrant visas to tourists and temporary business visitors for a limited duration
  • Immigrant visas which permit holders to stay in the United States permanently, work and eventually apply for citizenship
Types of Non-immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant Visas

There are many types of non-immigrant visas and while some are straightforward, others may require substantial documentation. Most non-immigrant visas are for work purposes and usually require an offer of employment from a U.S. business. The immigration laws may have some restrictions, such as a labor certification to ensure that no American workers are presently able to fill the role of the job.

Other categories of non-immigrant visas include student, family and tourist visas. Each visa category is further divided into numerous subcategories. Our offices, located in New York City and Poughkeepsie, are available to provide advice to businesses and individuals throughout the United States and other countries including the Caribbean regarding the types of visas available and the requirements to apply. We can help you determine which visa is right for your specific circumstances and help you make the proper application. Please note: there are some countries that are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program. If your country of origin participates in this program, you may not need to apply for a visa before you arrive in the United States. If you have questions, an experienced visa attorney can help you determine whether or not you need a visa.

Visa Catergories

B-1/B-2 Visitors Visa

E-1 Treaty Traders Visa (Traders, spouse and children)

E-2 Treaty Investor Via (Investor, spouse and children)

Student Visas (F-1 Student Visa; F-2 for Spouses and Children and F-3 for Mexican and Canadian commuter students)

M-1 The M-1 Visa (Vocational Student or non-academic program)

K-1 Fiancee Visas

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas

P-1 Artists and Athletes Visas

Q-1 International Cultural Exchange Visitor Visas

L-1 Intracompany Transfer Visas

H-1B Work Visa for Specialty Occupations (including fashion models)

J Visa

R-1 Religious Worker Visas

north american free trade

Tn Status Under The North American Free Trade Agreement

A special category has been set up for nationals of Canada and Mexico under the provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement. The TN classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level. Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN non-immigrants are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers.

Need Help Determining Which Visa is Right for You?

The Law Office of Diron Rutty, LLC works with clients every day on their visa issues. Whether you are applying for a visa for business, pleasure, or to permanently settle within the United States, we can help you find the best option and guide you through the application process. Fill out the form to speak with a member of our team about your visa options today.

Working With an
Immigration Lawyer Can Put Your Mind at Ease

Immigration is a constantly changing field of law, especially in today’s political climate. The rules for certain immigration paths can change on a weekly basis, and for someone who is trying to legally obtain permanent residency, it can feel confusing and overwhelming when you attempt to go through the process on your own. That’s why so many people who have gone through the process recommend to others that they hire an immigration lawyer. Our team will make sure that you understand all of the steps involved in becoming a permanent resident of the United States and help you create an application that gives you the best chance of a positive outcome for your case. You’ll have someone on your side who can answer your questions and who understands the intricate details of the law, giving you an advantage when it comes to applying for your Adjustment of Status or when going through Consular Processing.

The Law Offices of Diron Rutty, LLC may be able to help you find the clear path to legal permanent residency. If you want to move to the United States or remain here as a legal citizen, start by getting a consultation with our team. We’ll discuss your current status and what options you have to move forward with your application. The consultation is confidential and can give you valuable information about the next steps you need to take in order to remain in the United States.

If you have questions on attaining permanent residency, please do not hesitate to contact the immigration and family lawyers at Law Offices of Diron Rutty, LLC  at (718) 324-0404 or (845) 849-9201. We’re looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Don’t hesitate
get in touch today

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.