Can You Amend a Custody Agreement?

Custody agreements can be contentious. For many families, this is a part of family law that is best navigated with the help of a divorce attorney. Children and parents can struggle with the outcomes of these kinds of decisions for years, and you want to be sure that you get custody of your child after your court case. The Law Office of Diron Rutty can help you with your custody agreement to ensure a good outcome for everyone in your family. Below, we share some scenarios where you can change a custody agreement.

Changes in Circumstance

One of the reasons that you can change your custody agreement is if your circumstances have changed. The primary custodial parent that was originally selected for the agreement can be changed if they are no longer able to provide for their child. This could result from losing their house or their job, but in any case, in situations where a parent cannot sufficiently care for their child, a custody agreement can be changed.

Increase in Income

If one of a child’s parents receives an increase in income and the monetary awards for child support should be adjusted, the custodial agreement can be amended. This could be a change in the circumstances of either the mother or the father that leads to the need to change a custody agreement.

A New Marriage

If one of a child’s parents on the agreement has been remarried and the living arrangements for the child will change, a new custodial agreement will need to be made. For those who are moving to a new state and want their child to remain in their former school or location, a new custodial agreement is needed.

You can amend a custodial agreement if specific circumstances are met. These changes must be related to a significant change in circumstances for either parent. If you need help with your custodial agreement you need to seek the help of the family attorneys at The Law Office of Diron Rutty.

Don’t hesitate
get in touch today

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.