visasIf you are seeking admission to the U.S. as an immigrant, you must follow one of two paths depending on your residence at the time of filing your application.
First, if you are living abroad, you should apply for an immigrant visa at a consular office of the Department of State. Once issued a visa, you may enter the U.S. and become a legal immigrant when you pass through the port of entry.

If you are already living in the U.S. (as an undocumented immigrant, temporary worker, foreign student, or refugee), you will need to file an application for adjustment of status (to legal permanent residence) with the Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Contact Our Family Lawyer To Learn More About Visa Requirements

Whether your interest in coming to the United States is on a visa for pleasure or to conduct business, there are many kinds of visas available. It is most important that you understand the purpose of your visit and the correct visa requirements in order to reduce problems that may arise after you enter the United States. The problems which may arise when the proper procedure is not followed can have unforeseen consequences.

Whether you are applying for a visa to enter the United States, you are in the United States and need advice on the steps to be taken in order to avoid an overstay, or you have overstayed and are uncertain of your immigrant rights, it is important that you consult with a reliable attorney.

We believe that our clients deserve our commitment, and we strive to provide each with high quality, ethical immigration advice at a reasonable price. Our experienced immigration lawyers in New York City (718) 324-0404 and Poughkeepsie (845) 849-9201 are available to assist you in resolving your immigration problem.

Visa Waiver Program

Citizens from certain countries do not need an immigration visa to enter the United States. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables foreign nationals (mostly from developed countries) to visit the United States for up to 90-days visa-free as long as certain conditions exist. Some such examples include the individual is staying in the U.S. for 90 days or less, traveling for business, pleasure or transit only, holding a return or onward ticket, and/or is in possession of a compliant passport that is not inadmissible to the US.) VWP travelers may complete their Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to traveling. For more information on ESTA and to request this waiver, visit https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta.

There are 35 countries whose citizens are now eligible for Visa Waiver travel: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Korea, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.