deferred-action-child-immigrationA foreign-born individual can become a naturalized U.S. citizen and the attorneys at Diron Rutty, LLC are committed to taking you through this process of navigating immigration services. The process of naturalization gives you all the same rights you would enjoy if you had been born in the United States. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) manages the process, and the final decision comes down to the decision of a USCIS officer.
There are some foreign nationals (if your biological or adoptive parent(s) became a U.S. citizen before you reached the age of 18) who may be a U.S. citizen and will not need to apply for naturalization.

Before you apply for naturalization, you must meet a few requirements that may apply to you. When considering naturalization as part of your journey of immigration to the USA, in most cases you must:

  • Be 18 years old or older at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
  • Have a green card, and you must have been a permanent resident of the United States for at least five years. The five-year rule is reduced to three years if you got your green card because you married a U.S. citizen. If you’ve served in the U.S. military, there’s usually no time requirement. You must be at least 18 years old and not convicted of a serious crime.
  • Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least three months prior to the date of filing the application.
  • Be physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the five years or were a U.S. citizen (either born or naturalized) before you turned 18. In this case, you may already be a citizen. You would not have to apply to USCIS for naturalization.

Generally, an applicant for naturalization must complete Form N-400 and submit it to USCIS. You’ll need Form M-599 if you are applying for naturalization based on military service.

The law surrounding citizenship and naturalization is complicated. The facts of each case are unique. For more detailed, specific information, please contact The Law Offices of Diron Rutty, LLC at (718) 324-0404 or (845) 849-9201, use the form at the right, or email us at